The mission of Piedmont Housing Alliance is to create housing opportunities and build community through education, lending and development.
Our four core values — opportunity, home, community and respect — guide our interactions with our clients, our partners and the greater community.
What we do:
- Our Education efforts focus on counseling for home ownership and to build family financial stability.
- Our HUD-approved housing counseling program provides one-on-one coaching for home buying, credit improvement, debt reduction, savings programs, and foreclosure prevention.
- We offer free classes in the community on those subjects as well, and we are the Virginia Housing Development Authority-approved provider of First Time* Homebuyer Education, required for access to financial assistance in homebuying. (*”First time homebuyer” is defined as a buyer who has not owned a home for a period of three years prior to purchase.)
- Our fair housing program provides education and advocacy to ensure equal access to housing opportunities.
- Our Lending program is certified by the US Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (“CDFI”)
- It includes eight sources of funding that help homebuyers with down payment and closing cost assistance.
- In addition, we have funds to lend into affordable housing development projects throughout the Thomas Jefferson Planning District.
- Our Development activities as a state-certified Community Development Housing Organization (“CHDO”) include working in more than 100 partnerships to increase the supply of local affordable housing.
- We produced affordable single family housing through neighborhood revitalization efforts
- Piedmont Housing has rehabilitated and/or renovated local buildings to create affordable rental housing, much of which we continue to manage as certified property managers.