We offer various opportunities to participate in free classes and events that can help on your path to a better financial future, increased stability and home ownership. Check back frequently for updates and new classes and events.
Due to the ongoing spread of COVID-19, our Berkmar office remains closed. All classes listed on this page are virtual.
Credit Club 2021: Get up to $2,300 to help improve your score!
Do you want to grow and protect your credit score but you’re not sure what to do and where to start? Join Piedmont Housing Alliance’s Credit Club this Fall to learn about credit, strategize ways to increase your score, celebrate your credit success and gain access to programs with financial incentives that can help build your score. During this six-month Club, participants will:
- Meet as a group to learn and share strategies to build and protect their credit scores and provide peer support as they move towards their credit goals;
- Meet with a housing counselor one-on-one to monitor, grow and protect their credit score;
- Be enrolled in the Financial Opportunity Center
- Be eligible to apply to the Twin Accounts Program – a matched savings program that is also a credit builder loan. The participant will receive a $300 credit builder loan and pay back $26.24 each month for 12 months. At the end of the 12-month period, LISC will match every monthly payment dollar for dollar as long as it was paid on time. Additionally, on-time payments will be reported to credit bureaus.
- Be eligible to apply to the Credit Improvement Program – a program that can provide up to $2,000 to pay off collections, judgements and closed revolving credit accounts.
Orientation – Monday, September 27th at 5:30 (1 hour)
Credit Club group meetings will be held on the fourth Monday of each month at 5:30 pm.
Down Payment Assistance Programs with PHA
Join Piedmont Housing Alliance to learn about the down payment assistance programs that we offer like our down payment loan program, the VIDA program and pre-purchase counseling! We encourage participants to ask questions about our programs and find out how they can work for you. Please attend this webinar if you are applying to the down payment loan program or VIDA program. This webinar is mandatory for new clients applying to the down payment loan program and VIDA program.
Tuesday, September 14th from 11:00 to 11:45 am
Monday, September 20th from 5:30 to 6:15pm
Prep for Homeownership Series
Join Piedmont Housing Alliance to see if you are you ready to make one of the biggest purchases of your life! During these meetings, we will review foundational financial topics that are important during the home purchase process. We will also have industry experts come and talk about their role in the home purchase process. Meetings will be held on the second Monday of the month.
Spending & Saving Plan – September 13th at 6 pm (1.5 hours)
Working with a Lender – October 11th at 6 pm (1.5 hours)
Predatory Lender – November 8th at 6 pm (1.5 hours)
Virginia Housing Homebuyer Classes
Virginia Housing homebuyer classes are held quarterly. They are free to all, but registration is required.