The mission of Piedmont Housing Alliance is to create affordable housing opportunities and foster
community through education, lending, and equitable development.
Our four core values — equity, opportunity, home, community and respect — guide our interactions with our clients, our partners and the greater community.
What we do:
- Our Education efforts focus on counseling for home ownership and to build family financial stability.
- Our HUD-approved housing counseling program provides one-on-one coaching for home buying, credit improvement, debt reduction, savings programs, fair housing and foreclosure prevention.
- We offer free classes in the community on those subjects as well, and we are the Virginia Housing Development Authority-approved provider of First Time* Homebuyer Education, required for access to financial assistance in homebuying. (*”First time homebuyer” is defined as a buyer who has not owned a home for a period of three years prior to purchase.)
- Our Lending program is certified by the US Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (“CDFI”).
- It includes eight sources of funding that help homebuyers with down payment and closing cost assistance.
- In addition, we have lent funds into affordable housing development projects throughout the Thomas Jefferson Planning District.
- Our Development activities aim to preserve and increase the number of high-quality, affordable housing units in our area, and we are certified as a Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO).
- We acquire and rehabilitate and/or renovate existing properties and also create new affordable rental housing, much of which we continue to manage as certified property managers.
- We have also produced affordable single family housing through neighborhood revitalization efforts.