Advocacy Alert: Virginia General Assembly Special Session
The Virginia General Assembly convened for a Special Session starting Tuesday, August 18. The special session may last a maximum of 30 days. There are several items on the agenda for the special session that advocates and those with a stake in affordable housing issues will find important.
At the Session issues will be discussed and voted on including:
- New state budget (based on COVID-impacts)
- Rental assistance and eviction prevention
- Criminal justice and policing reform
Due to COVID-19, Virginia’s Governor, Ralph Northam, and state legislators froze more than $2.2 billion, including funding for:
- The Virginia Housing Trust Fund
- Permanent supportive housing (addressing chronic homelessness)
- Eviction defense/diversion and affordable housing pilot programs
- The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)
So how can you help? There are various ways.